Day 209 of 365 Days of Being Thankful

         Today I am thankful that we went to the Russian Food Market yesterday after Olivia was finished with Cosmetology school. . Olivia and Olya love Ukrainian and Russian foods. They always get sunflower seeds,  cook them to plump them up and then eat them for days and days.  My house has seed shells all over the place!!




They bought 4 huge bags of seeds! I will be running my Roomba 24/7 for the next few months!  They always get tomatoes in brine and garlic pickles. The garlic pickles are the best!!!
They also get Russian hot dogs which are linked together, I think they are made with pork and ham.
And they both always choose lots of the Ukrainian juices.
They can't read the Russian words any more but the juices have pictures on all of the cartons.




 Olya loves chicken jello.  Just looking at it makes me queasy, but it is a Ukrainian delicacy. Yick!!
chicken jello
 
Olya's sister made it all of the time and she loves it.  They also always get dried fish.  Olivia likes the small dried fish and Olya usually gets the big dried fish!  All I can say about that is Yick!   I don't like looking at the eyes of the fish or the general look of them!
   Olivia got a bag of assorted candy including Olitchka candy, Olitchka is a name that means sweet little Olga. Olivia and Olya were both named Olga in Ukraine. Olya got a bag of Russian candy for Matt's family, Olya also gets head cheese at the deli.  I don't know why it is called head cheese because there is no cheese in it! It is a jelled glob of different types of meat chunks!
head cheese

Olivia's grandmother called her Olitchka.  Russian candy is really good! Actually, any candy is really good!! Our refrigerator is stuffed with Ukrainian and Russian foods! It's hard to tell what's in there.  They also got cherry and cheese blintzes! I got broiled shrimp.  I can't wait to eat them,  They are so plump and smell so good! Dan got a few Russian salads and some Russian meats. I have a feeling we will all be stuffed with food for a few days! The girls can't get enough of the food! Most Ukrainian food is made fresh daily, they don't have as many types of frozen food as the U.S has.
         I am also thankful for a good night's sleep.  I think the bats are gone!  One exterminator told me that male bats like to fly together and find a place to hang out. I hope they never come back!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 77 of 365 Days of Being Thankful

Day 363 of 365 Days of Being Thankful

Day 362 of 365 Days of Being Thankful