Day 86 of 365 Days of Being Thankful

        Today I am thankful that my granddaughters liked their Easter gifts!  The girls called to thank us. We also mailed Kaylee's birthday gift in a separate box and Dan mailed the boxes at the same time.  Joe said they got the boxes a few days ago and they opened the Easter box addressed to both of them.  I sent them a craft, necklaces, and some candy.  Since the boxes arrived, Joe said that Kaylee has been picking at the edges of her birthday gift box!  LOL, so funny and so cute. What kid can resist a box with a gift inside staring at them the week before their birthday! So they let her open the gift while we were on the phone.  I think she liked the gifts because she was playing with them during the conversation! I got her two of the My Little Pony toys/sets she wanted and I picked out a Melissa and Doug dress up doll that was so cute!  I loved paper dolls when I was a kid.  When we first adopted Olivia, she found a doll dress up online.  She knew how to use the computer and dress the dolls even though she couldn't speak any English at first.  I don't know how she even found the site. Ukrainian girls LOVE glitz, glamour, high heels, and make-up.  It was a perfect site for her because she could change the figure's clothes, hair, jewelry, make-up, accessories, and fingernails.  And now she is going to go to beauty school and do those things in real life, at least the hair, fingernails  and make-up part.
 Kaylee's birthday is on Easter this year! Olivia asked me what the significance of palms were and why we  have Palm Sunday.  Today at church, the choir came in singing down the main aisle waving and holding palms.  It looked really pretty.   This is what I found online.


 Palm Sunday commemorates the entrance of Jesus into Jerusalem (Matthew 21:1–9), when palm branches were placed in his path, before his arrest on Holy Thursday and his crucifixion on Good Friday. It thus marks the beginning of Holy Week, the final week of Lent.
    



 Next Sunday is Easter.
  I started to get ready today, I always do that. I hand washed the good glasses and utensils, put out the candles, and put out the flower vases.  I always use the Amy candles too. I don't think any of my outside plants will flower because it is so cold out.  Some of them started to peek out from the ground but I'm sure that they are all dead from the snow and frost.
         I usually have an early dinner about 4 but Olya and Natasha will have to get back to college.  My brother-in-law is driving Natasha back because there is no train near her college campus.  For the first time, I am going to have brunch, use plastic plates and a plastic tablecloth.  I set the table with the plastic tablecloth and was going to do another job each day to have it all done by Easter Sunday! Then I can start cooking on Sat. and just finish up after church on Sunday.  I think I am going to make pancakes, hash brown potatoes, fruit bowl, and a ham. I'll also have bagels and donuts!  I forgot about my stupid cat. I guess using a plastic tablecloth was NOT a good idea!  I am thankful for this idiot cat because his pranks make us laugh! He did this once before with my quilted table pad, you'd think I'd remember!
  He ripped the tablecloth in so many places and then he knocked some of the purple plastic plates on the floor. I called Olivia out to see the tablecloth and the stupid cat followed her into the dining room.  He knew what he did! He was slinking along the floor when we were examining the ripped tablecloth.
Olivia stuck the purple plates under the tablecloth so the ripped holes would show up in the photo!
 



This cat gets into everything!  I told Olivia that her cat is going up for sale!

        I am also thankful that my friend Leslie posted this news story. I think the current pope is such an example of goodness and kindness. He truly has a heart to lead a religion. I remember when he came to Philadelphia. He rode in a tiny little car, I think it was a Fiat, but not sure about that.  On TV, there would be a long line of cars, mostly limos, with his security team and Philly officials, and then you would see his tiny little car at the end. He didn't want anything ostentatious. I remember reading that the car would be auctioned off for charity.               
                      
  Pope Francis tells young people not to let adults silence them
Pope Francis tells young people not to let adults silence them
Pope Francis blesses faithful gathered to attend the Palm Sunday Mass in Saint Peter's Square at the Vatican        
     
VATICAN CITY – Pope Francis, starting Holy Week services leading to Easter, urged young people on Sunday to keep shouting and not allow the older generations to silence their voices or anesthetize their idealism.
Francis spoke a day after hundreds of thousands of young Americans and their supporters answered a call to action from survivors of last month’s Florida high school massacre and rallied across the United States to demand tighter gun laws. He did not mention the demonstrations.
The 81-year-old Roman Catholic leader led a long and solemn Palm Sunday service before tens of thousands in St. Peter’s Square, many of them young people there for the Catholic Church’s World Day of Youth.
Carrying a woven palm branch known as a “palmurello,” Francis led a procession in front of the largest church in Christendom to commemorate the day the Bible says Jesus rode into Jerusalem and was hailed as a savior, only to be crucified five days later.
Drawing on biblical parallels, Francis urged the young people in the crowd not to let themselves be manipulated.
“The temptation to silence young people has always existed,” Francis said in the homily of a Mass.
“There are many ways to silence young people and make them invisible. Many ways to anesthetize them, to make them keep quiet, ask nothing, question nothing. There are many ways to sedate them, to keep them from getting involved, to make their dreams flat and dreary, petty and plaintive,” he said.
“Dear young people, you have it in you to shout,” he told young people, urging them to be like the people who welcomed Jesus with palms rather than those who shouted for his crucifixion only days later.
“It is up to you not to keep quiet. Even if others keep quiet, if we older people and
leaders, some corrupt, keep quiet, if the whole world keeps quiet and loses its joy, I ask you: Will you cry out?”
The young people in the crowd shouted, “Yes!”
While Francis did not mention Saturday’s marches in the United States, he has often condemned weapons manufacturing and mass shootings.
Palm Sunday marked the start of a hectic week of activities for the pope.
On Holy Thursday he is due to preside at two services, including one in which he will wash the feet of 12 inmates in a Rome jail to commemorate Jesus’ gesture of humility toward his apostles the night before he died.
On Good Friday, he is due to lead a Via Crucis (Way of the Cross) procession at Rome’s Colosseum. On Saturday night he leads a Easter vigil service and on Easter Sunday he delivers his twice-yearly “Urbi et Orbi” (to the city and the world) message

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 77 of 365 Days of Being Thankful

Day 363 of 365 Days of Being Thankful

Day 362 of 365 Days of Being Thankful