Day 48 of 365 Days of Being Thankful

 
  Today I am thankful that my close friend Priscilla is coming over tonight.  We are going to watch old movies and eat pizza and popcorn.  First up is The Sound of Music! It's always fun to hang out with best friends.  Somehow it makes all the other sad or difficult parts of life easier to take. Priscilla is funny, so it is fun to be around her! Yesterday she watched Annie with her granddaughters.  I love that movie too, hope she brings it. In daily life, it really is the little things that we are thankful for.  As long as your family and friends are healthy, everything else is just little stuff. When we were in Disney World many years ago, we stayed in Disney at Dixie Landings. Every morning we would get on the  bus and be driven to the park. Our bus driver, an elderly man, would open the door and shout out in a happy voice, "GOOD MORNING, IT"S GOING TO BE A WONDERFUL DISNEY DAY!" He was always happy and bubbly.  One morning I said to him why are you always so happy and jolly?  And he said, "well, when I woke up this morning I said Thank God."  And I was waiting for him to go on.  So I said And? The driver said, "that's it.  I'm 72 years old, think of the alternative." He made me smile.  It is the normal, everyday things in life we should be thankful for. We just don't think about the normal things on a daily basis. When you lose a child, you start thinking about all of the regular things you had taken for granted. A hug, a smile, a kind word, a laugh are all precious as they exist. I watched a documentary years ago of a young man who was a vent dependent quadriplegic. He said that he wished he could do all of the things he used to complain about. He said he always complained about mowing the lawn but he'd give anything to be able to do that! Just think about our health, we are never really thankful for good health and feeling good until it is taken away by a flu or a virus or something even more serious. When I have a stomach issue, all I want is my normal health back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 77 of 365 Days of Being Thankful

Day 363 of 365 Days of Being Thankful

Day 362 of 365 Days of Being Thankful