Day 31 of 365 Days of Being Thankful



        Today I am thankful for classic TV shows, especially Hogan's Heroes. The setting of the show was a fictionalized POW camp in Germany.  Hogan and his fellow POWs did everything they could to sabotage the work of the Germans.   Last night Dan and I watched the show because we don't like a lot of the regular TV shows that are on now.  Watching the show reminded me of my dad.  He LOVED that show. I remember sitting next to him on the couch and laughing at the crazy things that the characters did.  It's a really nice memory. My dad died at age 61 from stomach cancer and I still really miss him. I think I spoke to him or saw him almost everyday of my life. He came to my house everyday after work.  He would pick up Amy from daycare and they would both be watching cartoons when I got home from work.  He was such a good and caring man and father and grandfather.  His favorite character was Sargent Shultz. Shultz played a bumbling, kindhearted corporal at the German detention camp.

 

Shultz's famous lines were "I see nothing," I" hear nothing."  He was a funny character!  Those old shows were funny and didn't use curse words to be  funny. They were pure wholesome entertainment.  Dan told me that his father also watched the show.  Back in our younger childhood days, there weren't as many choices for TV shows.  We had 3 main channels and 3 extra channels that we sometimes got and sometimes didn't. Dan's father only had two channels to choose from because he is from a small town in upstate PA.
I remember all of the characters, Colonel Klink, the commandant and General Berkholder, his superior officer.  There was always a beautiful blond female on the show who would do anything for Hogan.  I think in real life that Bob Crane, who played Hogan, died from being bludgeoned to death and was linked to sexual addiction, etc.  That was such a sad way to die and so opposite from the clean-cut character he played. I don't think the murderer was ever found.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 77 of 365 Days of Being Thankful

Day 363 of 365 Days of Being Thankful

Day 362 of 365 Days of Being Thankful