Day 30 of 365 Days of Being Thankful

          
         Today I am thankful for my internet friends.  I have met so many kind and wonderful friends online. In particular, the bereaved moms I have met are so kind and so caring.  It always amazes me that the people who are living with the most hurt are the kindest people. I met my friend Nina online many years ago when Amy first died and I still think about how nice and supportive she was and is. I also have met many kind adoptive parents online. I wish I could meet all of them in person but that is not to be.  Years ago, I met a woman named Chris from New Zealand.  She lost her daughter Lucy the same year Amy died. I could never sleep at night and New Zealand is on the opposite time schedule so we chatted all the time, probably close to two years.  We are now Facebook friends.. I met my good friend Debbie, another bereaved mom, online and in person. And I met my best friend Priscilla online.  I can't imagine my life without these special people in it. I run a Facebook  group for Older Adoptive Moms that I started a few months ago and we have close to 500 members already. I just love those moms!
         I have met Olya's birth family online. They are so nice.  Olya's sister looks so much like her.  Her sister's son looks like he could be Olya's younger brother.  He is adorable.  They comment on almost every picture I post and that makes Olya feel good.  I am glad we have that connection for her. Olivia's second cousin found her on Instagram/Twitter and Olivia has spoken to her several times on messaging.  At first, Olivia didn't believe her cousin because she kept saying sister and Olivia knew that she did not have a sister two years younger.  My friend Lena, who is from Ukraine, told me that the word cousin often translates to sister. After Olivia's cousin sent baby pictures of Olivia, we knew she was the real thing!  It is amazing how easy it is to connect to other people around the world. So many online people helped me when we were adopting. They told me who to use as a facilitator, what to bring to Ukraine, what to expect, etc. They also helped me with the paperwork which can be overwhelming.   
     My online friend Kelly, another adoptive mom, really helped me when we were in Ukraine and had a failed adoption.  Without her, I would not have Olivia and Olya.  Kelly is responsible for two of my most precious gifts, Olivia and Olya.  Kelly also adopted 3 wonderful  boys from Ukraine.  She is a fabulous mom! She is there for her sons through thick and thin! I feel like I know more about her and her family than I do about people who I  have known in person for many years.  Kelly helps people because she is just so nice, there is nothing for her to gain from helping.  So I have tried to pass that on to others.  I helped my online friend Donna adopt.  She is also a bereaved mom and we did get to meet once in person. Donna is a positive person and she is funny! Donna adopted a beautiful 9 yr old daughter, now a beautiful teenager, from Ukraine.  I have another online friend named Madelyn. I met her in person and we have socialized a few times.  She adopted Olivia's friend Yana from the same orphanage.  She lives several hours away in another state so I guess we have become internet friends! Madelyn is also writing a blog about a year of thankfulness and I love reading it everyday. My friend Sandra lives in the United Kingdom, she also makes nice comments on things I post.  It always makes my day! I met my breast cancer survivor friend Mary online. She always has a positive comment when I post something.  She is a lovely person and very upbeat! My friend Myra and I have become more of internet friends. We became friends because her daughter and Amy were friends in elementary school. Sometimes life gets in the way and it is easier to chat online. 
         The internet also helped me to reconnect with my high school friend Diane. I was so glad to be back in touch with her! The internet has helped me make friends around the corner and around the world!

.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 77 of 365 Days of Being Thankful

Day 363 of 365 Days of Being Thankful

Day 362 of 365 Days of Being Thankful