Day 28 of 365 Days of Being Thankful


    Today I am thankful for Aleve and Advil.  Somehow I strained/hurt my back.  I think it was because I stripped and put clean sheets on my bed last night before I went to bed.  I bent a certain way and felt a stab of pain! That will teach me!  I guess I shouldn't worry so much about changing the bed sheets every week! In my head, I am 35 and feel like I should be able to do everything I did back then!  I took one Aleve and it barely worked so then I took an Advil an hour later and the pain subsided a little. Just think of life without aspirin or ibuprofen.
I hate being immobile and not being able to clean, especially on a Sat., which is my heavy cleaning day.  I didn't even care about food so I knew the pain was worse than normal! What would we do without OTC pain meds?  With the opioid crisis so bad, many docs are not prescribing narcotics. It's good that there are OTC meds, I am thinking that their stocks must be going up because docs are not prescribing prescription meds as much.  The last time I was at the ER, there were signs up that they were not prescribing meds for people after release. There are several parents in my bereaved moms group that have lost their adult children due to opioids.  I think a lot of pressure is on doctors to give very few narcotic prescriptions.  A lot of the moms in my bereaved mom group who lost their children to drug overdose said that their children were given prescription meds after an injury and they could never get off the meds.  They then turn to heroin because it is supposedly a cheap street drug and easy to get.  Personally, I wouldn't even know where to go to get street drugs.   I have been thinking of trying to find a place that prescribes  medicinal marijuana for pain for Olivia.  I know they sell it in capsule form and it is only legal in PA as a medication.  I would prefer that Olivia take the pot tablets than the oxycodone when she is in severe pain. I don't even know where to begin to search for it.
          My niece has chronic migraines.  She is at the hospital every few months, they give her a morphine drip and then send her home. I am glad that the drug rules were not as strict when Olivia had her spinal fusion surgery. She had a hard enough time getting through the pain with the meds. Weaning her off of them was very difficult but it had to be done. I can only imagine how hard it would have been to get her off of them if she was the one who had control of the meds. When I had breast cancer surgery, I only took the prescribed meds for one day and then I switched myself to OTC Aleve.
       The good news is that my back got somewhat better throughout the day. The bad news is that my appetite came back full force and I ate enough to make up for the morning!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 77 of 365 Days of Being Thankful

Day 363 of 365 Days of Being Thankful

Day 362 of 365 Days of Being Thankful